With 4 different flavors in one recipe, this date-sweetened sauce is a tasty way to add some spunk to your next (socially-distanced) barbecue without any nasty additives or chemicals!
One of the best things about summer are all the backyard grill outs. Burgers, kabobs, cauliflower steaks, and BBQ are just a few favorites to grill up for a delicious summertime meal. And when grilling out, you can't forget the condiments! Many store-bought options contain high-fructose corn syrup (yuck!) and preservatives, which is not what we want! So we created a better-for-you BBQ sauce, sweetened only with Joolies date syrup🌴
No matter what your favorite flavor is, we created a few options in addition to the classic recipe including tangy, sweet, and spicy! Once you have the regular BBQ made, you just add a few additional ingredients to create each flavor to satisfy everyone's tastebuds. It's a must make recipe for the summer and makes for the perfect addition to any backyard barbecue.
Ingredients You'll Need:
- Joolies Date Syrup
- The only natural sweetener needed. Plus, you still maintain all the nutrient and health benefits of a Medjool date just in syrup form! If you're still not convinced as to why date syrup is the best, check out our blog post with the top natural sweeteners!
- Tomato Paste
- This helps thicken the sauce and adds a rich tomato base! It seems so simple and small, but this is not an ingredient you can skip and replace with another tomato thing.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- This adds some tang to the sauce! If you are making the Tangy BBQ version, add an additional 1/2 cup (or more depending on how far you wanna go) 😉We love this unfiltered, raw cider from Dr. Bragg!
- Coconut Aminos
- A great alternative to soy sauce, but you can substitute soy sauce if needed! We prefer coconut aminos because soy can be inflammatory to some individuals and has a whole lot less sodium.
- Joolies Date Syrup
- If you're just a spice person, even our tangy sauce may not be your thing. SO, you can always add some heat by adding some hot sauce 🔥Grab this bad boy from the one and only source here!
- Chili Flakes
- So, the same but different from Sriracha! Chili flakes can level up your sauce in a more traditional way, giving it a more of a subtle heat without too much spice. To see what you truly like best, try both! You have 4 sauces to work with anyway 😋
If you make this BBQ for your next grill out, be sure to tag us on and so we can see all your date-able recreations! And you can always comment below!