In case ya didn't know, caramel made from medjool dates is the simplest dessert, whether you use it as a dip or for healthier bakes! The best part is that you only need 3 ingredients: dates, non-dairy milk, and some vanilla extract.
Whether you're dipping, baking, or spooning this medjool date caramel (aka date paste) is super versatile! We love adding it to oatmeal or smoothies, charcuterie boards, no bake and baked goods! Just like our medjool date syrup, this date caramel is the perfect substitute for other sweeteners like maple syrup, honey, agave, etc. All you need is 15 minutes and 3 ingredients to make this delicious vegan, paleo, and refined sugar-free caramel.
Ingredients You'll Need:
- Joolies Dates
- Don't forget the pit and soak in warm water first! Why soak them? Well while they are juicy beforehand, this step allows them to become extra-hydrated to create the perfect texture for the caramel.
- Dairy-Free Milk
- We went with a yummy coconut milk for this one, but use whatever floats your boat! There's oat, almond, macadamia, or other blends that work just the same.
- Vanilla Extract
- This little addition adds more flavor while enhancing the other flavors in our recipe! Technically, you can go without it, but it's just so much more worth it to go to the store and spend the cash on a good vanilla. It's like baking banana bread without vanilla, it simply isn't the same without it!
- Joolies Dates
- For a little extra something, add a dash or two of cinnamon. This is especially wonderful during the holiday times when all you're wanting to consume is pumpkin spice bagels, lattes, pies, you name it!
- Cacao Powder
- Ahhh...our classic friend, cacao. Dates and chocolate are just a match made in heaven, and, if you haven't already had this combo, this is the perfect recipe to add a little in 🍫
- Protein or Collagen
- Since this recipe blends everything together, you can honestly add any powdered boosters to this recipe! Protein, collagen, antioxidant blends, or whatever works for you and your needs 👍
If you make this yummy caramel, be sure to tag us on and so we can see all your date-able date recipe recreations! And you can always comment below!