CORN SYRUP; MILK CHOCOLATE (SUGAR; COCOA BUTTER; CHOCOLATE; MILK; LACTOSE; MILK FAT; NONFAT MILK; SOY LECITHIN; PGPR, EMULSIFIER) ; COCONUT; SUGAR; ALMONDS (ROASTED IN COCOA BUTTER AND/OR SUNFLOWER OIL) ; CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN AND PALM OIL); WHEY (MILK); COCOA; SALT; NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR ; CHOCOLATE; SOY LECITHIN; HYDROLYZED MILK PROTEIN; SODIUM METABISULFITE, TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS; SULFUR DIOXIDE, TO MAINTAIN FRESHNESS; CARAMEL COLOR.
Eeeekk that's quite a list with a lot of weird words😂 Now let's take a look at the ingredients in Joolies' Homemade Almond Joys! (Spoiler alert: there are only 7 and you can easily pronounce them all)!
Ingredients you'll need:
- Shredded Coconut
- We used unsweetened here, but if you want a sweeter bar go for the sweetened. Flaked also works great. Bob's Red Mill is a great choice.
- Joolies Medjool Date Syrup
- The only natural sweetener needed. Plus, you still maintain all the nutrient and health benefits of a medjool date in the syrup form! Instead of the refined sugar and preservatives in the traditional Almond Joys, we use date syrup for a kick of sweetness without the gross stuff!
- Almond flour
- This helps us achieve the perfect texture while adding a hint more of almond flavor. You can swap for coconut flour, but you might need to add lees since coconut flour is so absorbent.
- Coconut Cream
- To create that creaminess in the filling like a classic almond joy has, adding coconut cream will get us there. Plus it adds even more coconut flavor. We do recommend using full-fat coconut cream.
- Quite possibly the most essential part of an almond joy! We recommend using roasted for the best flavor!
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Coconut Oil
- Adding a little bit of this into our melted chocolate helps keep it from drying out and thins it out to make it easier for dipping! Plus coconut oil has stellar health benefits, one being composed of healthy fatty acids called MCTs which promote brain function.
- Shredded Coconut
If you make this better-for-you classic candy recipe, be sure to tag us on and so we can see all your date-able date recipe recreations! And you can always comment below!
More Date-able Candy Remakes You'll Love:
- Paleo Twix Bars
- Copycat Reese's Peanut Butter Eggs
- Snicker's Stuffed Dates
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats